We kicked off Honeymoon Week 2017 with Mauritius, Bali and The Maldives, but we've a couple more destinations to go this week. Every day we'll be filling you in on some of the most beautiful destinations in the world, and today it's the turn of beautiful South Africa! We talked to Travel Counsellor Emer McDermott to get all the must-know, must-do, and must-see info you'll need before booking your big trip!
Why do people love South Africa as a honeymoon destination?
A safari honeymoon in South Africa is an experience of a lifetime. Located on the southern tip of Africa, South Africa is one of our favourite honeymoon destinations. Few places offer the adventure of South Africa. Whether you want to photograph inspiring scenery, get lost in dizzying metropolises, come face to with iconic wildlife, or simply laze on golden beaches, a South Africa honeymoon is always amazing.
What is there to do/see there?
• Track the Big Five as part of a South Africa safari honeymoon. Home to lions, elephants, rhino, cheetahs, and buffalo, South Africa boasts some of the best game reserves in the world, many fitted with luxury accommodation.
• Explore Cape Town. Trek the picturesque Table Mountain, visit the penguin-inhabited Boulder Beach, and tour the historic Robben Island. At night, head out and discover South Africa’s delicious cuisine, world-famous wine and lively nightlife.
• Want to include some time on a tropical island? Why not take in Mauritius, this destination combines seamlessly with a South Africa honeymoon.
Best Time To Visit
Nov-Mar: This is the best time to see the Western Cape and Cape Town on your South Africa honeymoon. The diverse South African weather means conditions might be completely different elsewhere.
Aug-October: Best time for tracking game on making a safari honeymoon. Be warned, it can get very hot from September to October.
A honeymoon in South Africa wouldn't be complete without a visit to the vibrant city of Cape Town, nestling in the shadow of Table Mountain and a gateway to the starkly beautiful Cape Peninsula. Behind the mountain lie the dappled vineyards and gastronomic delights of the Winelands and further east is the Garden Route, where sheer river canyons cut through darkly forested mountains to the tumultuous coast.
A self drive itinerary of the Garden Route starts in Cape Town and ends in the friendly city of Port Elizabeth. You take in all the highlights from the evocative, sepia-tinged landscapes of the Klein Karoo to jewel bright greens and blues of the forests and lagoons of Knysna, Plettenberg Bay and Tsitsikamma.
• Stunning scenery and warm hospitality of the Klein Karoo including a heart-warming community visit at a farm school.
• Picturesque and quaint holiday towns offering diverse attractions, great shopping and fine dining.
• The extraordinary natural beauty and fascinating flora and fauna of the delicate mountain, forest, lagoon and coastal eco-systems
Finishing with a "Big 5" Safari in the malaria-free Eastern Cape is the perfect way to end your tour of the Garden Route. South Africa has a wealth of attractions that bring travellers back time and time again, and a holiday here will allow you to experience much of what this wonderful country has to offer at very good value to our Euro!
What sort of budget is required?
Approx Budget required for South Africa Honeymoon €4500-5500 per couple.
For more information or to book your big trip to South Africa, get in touch with Travel Counsellor Emer McDermott by email on [email protected] or by calling 098-29622.
You might also like: Honeymoon planning mistakes all couples make